Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My best way to understand the confusion

This is a photo Taylor took in December. I am not sure who is in the photo, but it was Spencer and his friends at the water box for wake skating?! Not sure that I am using the correct wording.


For a change, I want to post some pictures that Taylor took on his camera that he got for Christmas. These will be things he thinks are important. I will put his name in the bottom corners of the photos so you will know. TT

One of my first jobs was when I moved to Alaska, and I worked at a KFC, Kentucky Fried Chicken. I was a hard worker. I didn't complain a lot, did all of the jobs put forth to me in the best way that I was able to. I worked overtime hours ever chance that I got. I remember when my boss pulled me in the back after only 3 days and told me he was giving me a raise as he didn't realize I was such a strong worker.

I enjoyed my job as much as you can, flinging chicken, making biscuits, gravy and coleslaw. However, there was one part that I would always surely dread. When people would start ordering buckets of chicken. There were different sizes of buckets... 12 piece, 16 piece, 20 piece, so on and so forth. With that in mind, I could not for the life of me, for a really long time, understand which pieces of chicken went in which bucket. It would be so easy if they would just say, 4 wing, 4 leg, 4 thigh, 4 rib and 4 breast.... BUT Noooooooooooooooo, they would say something like 6wings, 5 legs, 5 thigh, 2 rib and 2 breasts. It was so odd, I couldn't wrap my head around it at all. It, to be honest was really frustrating. Why not just make buckets in increments of 5 and give them one of each per size of bucket.

I guess, this is my closest analogy of autism. It just doesn't make sense. No matter how hard my son, or others with this disability are trying, they just sometimes can't wrap their brain around it. Things that seem so logical are not put into play. I was just sitting here thinking about this and thought, man, I kind of remember that frustration.

No comments: